Monday, June 2, 2014

Music Monday - 6/2/2014

Ally says:

Confession: I lived for three and a half decades before I heard a single song by the Replacements.

I don't know how it happened. I had really good guides, I swear. I had not one but two older sisters. I was born in the 70's...what more did I need to have a fully comprehensive musical trove of knowledge?

My oldest sister, seven years my senior, used to play me Led Zepplin in the car. I'd watch the cherry of her cigarette flit through the air when she was dancing like some kind of rock and roll firefly.
 Ramble on and now's the time the is now to sing my song. 
I'm goin round the world, I got find my girl, on my way. 
Gotta find the queen of all my dreams. 
I've been this way ten years to the day, Ramble on. 
This is good groundwork, right? From there, my other sister, three years my senior, picked up the slack. There was punk - Ramones, Clash, Sex Pistols. Then heavy metal. Then grunge. Then more punk. And yet somewhere along the way, I traveled this musical highway without ever hearing a single song by the Replacements.

Yes, THE REPLACEMENTS.

I know. I know. What can I say? These things happen. Dumbstruck? Yes. Me too. Never once until I was in my, ahem, mid-30's did I hear the 'Mats.

When I confessed my sister tweeted me this:


I don't know how it happened people, but it just did.

And I'm glad it did.

Because that meant that something amazing was saved for me. While the rest of you understood the power of the album Tim at a young age, I was will fully ignorant so that now, I can be blown away. NOW. Just like I was back then when music was the only thing that could ever matter. When making a mix tape for a friend was a way to tell them you loved them, you were scared too, but you were there and that meant neither of you were alone.

God, I miss mix tapes.

Back then, when I couldn't talk, music talked for me. I haven't felt that way about music in awhile. Until now. So yeah, I'm not sorry. Sometimes things work out for a reason.

You already know the tune. Come on kids, sing along with me. Where we gonna meet?

That's right.

Left of the Dial.





Aleathia says:

I am one of those gals that gets pretty stuck in her ways about music if left to myself.  I am open to new tunes, but this exposure usually only comes from hanging out with different types of people.  I have since settled in a small town and hunkered down in our new house.  There isn't a lot of mingling going on in person or online.  So in an effort to update myself I went to the local record store, which unfortunately is a national chain, and looked at new releases and flagged bands in the racks.

Today I'm going to drop a few videos on you from the new Pixies album Indie Cindy.  I know that the Pixies are by no means "new" music.  They were around back in the day, but I could just never bring myself to listen to them.  I knew of them, knew a few songs, but it was never enough to make me invested.

I jumped onto the new Myspace and took this album for a spin.  I was pretty much transported back to the early 90's which says to me that this band didn't grow or expand much.  It has that same 90's noisy double guitar that blends together and the lack luster vocals that just barely sounds out above the music.  If you love this sort of thing, buy the record.  It wasn't all a loss as there were a few tunes on there that I found to be palatable and would listen to again.

This one is my favorite, "Greens and Blues":



and this one, "Magdalena 318":



and lastly "Snakes":




No comments:

Post a Comment