Friday, July 3, 2015

7/3/2015 Liliana Porter, artist

Aleathia says:

It is the wee hours of the morning and for some reason I cannot sleep and do not feel like myself. Maybe it is the dregs of this full moon phase pulling me in theoretical directions.  One cannot be sure. So like all good modern folk, I started to troll social media and remembered that I had a Tumblr account.  I thought it would be good to see what was floating around in the art world that I had not yet seen.



I came across a post from someone in my feed about an artist named Liliana Porter.  I am often not sure what attracts me to certain kinds of art and I love how the brain is so independent in that way.  Liliana Porter is an artist originally from Argentina but has been living in NYC since 1964.  Her work takes on several different medias including photography, works on paper, works on canvas, and installation art.  When I started looking through her gallery of work I could not help but miss Cy Twombly.  There is something about the vast amount of white in her work and the way images are placed on the canvas that give me the same delight as Twombly's work does.  I was lucky enough to see an installation of Twombly sculptures in Chicago several years ago.  It was also heavy on the white.

If you would like to read more about Liliana Porter you can visit her website.

Here is her artist's statement:

"In the last years, parallel to photography and video, I have been making works on canvas, prints, drawings, collages, and small installations. Many of these pieces depict a cast of characters that are inanimate objects, toys and figurines that I find in flea markets, antique stores, and other odd places. The objects have a double existence. On the one hand they are mere appearance, insubstantial ornaments, but, at the same time, have a gaze that can be animated by the viewer, who, through it, can project the inclination to endow things with an interiority and identity. These "theatrical vignettes" are constructed as visual comments that speak of the human condition. I am interested in the simultaneity of humor and distress, banality and the possibility of meaning."

Works on Paper





Works on Canvas







Installations








No comments:

Post a Comment