Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Let's Go Somewhere 4/29/2014 Ottawa, Cumberland Island

Aleathia says:

In 2008, I made my first ever solo driving trip.  In my previous relationship I was not allowed to drive places as my driving was deemed inferior and so for many years I believed that story handed to me: you're not good enough to make it on your own.

I was determined to drive the 6 hours up there, alone.  At the time, I was invited to do a poetry reading for the University of Ottawa's literary magazine.  They invited me thinking I wouldn't make it because of the distance, but it was an honor for me.  It was my first ever college publication.  It was on my bucket list.  I was pretty happy about it.



I stayed in a hostel that used to be the the town jail and I moved around the city on foot.  I met wonderful people who were warm and inviting and helpful.  The food was great, the view amazing, and the art museum life changing.

From this visit I procured a series of photographs that I took on my walking adventures.  I casually held my camera in my hand and took photos as I walked by people.  I was never sure if I got the photo and I only had one chance to capture it.  What you will find in this photo essay are the ones that made it.



Drive By Shooting: A Photo Essay by Aleathia Drehmer


Michelle Says:

A solo trip for me is in the works, details of that will be shared soon. I will share a magical place I have visited several times- Cumberland Island! This island is in southeast Georgia and can only be accessed by boat. Very few people live there and there are no stores or gas stations, etc. on it. There is one VERY expensive hotel there so most visitors camp, as I have. There are ruins of an old mansion remaining, wild horses running free, beautiful beaches, marshes, armadillo, deer, and it is all there to explore and enjoy. It is a hidden treasure.








No comments:

Post a Comment