Monday, November 24, 2014

Music Monday-11/24/2014 Daptone Records

Aleathia says:

As a child my father imparted on me the importance of blues and jazz music.  I wasn't very receptive at the time.  I would rather listen to Madonna and Whitney Houston and Cyndi Lauper.  Those artists were just blips in time for me.  I appreciate what they meant to me at the time and they do hold some nostalgia for my youth, but as an adult I will take a fine piece of jazz or some dirty vocal blues over anything.

What I have come to find out is that this type of music touches me.  It makes me feel like I am floating or maybe suspended in time.  It is hard to explain.  It's like being high without drugs.

Five or six years ago I got turned on to an artist off of Daptone Records named Sharon Jones.  Once I heard her, it was all over.  I went to the website to see what else they had in store for me.  Their line up of artists are impeccable....every single one.

Daptone Records is a Brooklyn, NY based indie record company that specializes in producing soul, funk, gospel and afrobeat music.  It was started by Gabriel Roth and Neal Sugarman who are also in the band The Dap Kings.

I had an opportunity to see Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings at the Grassroots Festival in Ithaca, NY. They rocked my face off.  Every beat electric and Sharon's voice just reached down into the depths of me and made me want to dance and lament all at the same time.



Daptone Records is putting on a Super Soul Revue Show at the Apollo December 4, 5, and 6.  I'm not sure what the ticket availability is, but this is some of what you will hear if you can make it.


Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings:




Charles Bradley:




Antibalas:



The Budos Band:






The Sugarman 3:




The Menahan Street Band:




The Como Mamas:




Naomi Shelton and The Gospel Queens:


No comments:

Post a Comment