Sunday, November 16, 2014

OM-11/16/2014 Thich Nhat Hanh

Aleathia says:

I recently discovered that Thich Nhat Hanh fell ill around November 1st.  It is said that he has suffered a stroke and though he is weak there is possibility of survival for him even at the great age of 88.



He has been a source of peace for so many people, Buddhists and non-Buddhists.  Let us send a little light and good thoughts his way for recovery, so he can continue to do his work in this body, in this life.

For me personally, I was introduced to his gentle nature when I requested instruction from my lama on walking meditation.  In those days I walked everywhere and thought it would be helpful to walk and meditate on those days when I did not have time for sitting.  Since that point, I have been looking to his words in times of need.

From "Two Treasures" by Thich Nhat Hanh

"Many people are victims of their fear.  If we can alleviate someone's fear, that is the greatest gift that we can offer them.  Our life will be filled with happiness if we can help others around us.  But if we spend our whole life building up our name and our fortune, then we cannot find happiness.  We might have a lot of money, a big house, a luxurious car, but that's not real happiness.  We can only taste real happiness when we can help others around us.  And we have to start with those in our family and the dear friends around us.  We have to help family, relatives, and friends before we are capable of helping others outside our circle."

No comments:

Post a Comment