Sunday, November 30, 2014

OM-11/30/2014 Rejoicing In Things As They Are, Pema Chodron

Aleathia says:

I am a creature of habit.  Habit is comfortable to most and it is when we move away from that comfort that learning happens, change happens, and most often personal dysfunction because we have continually done things the same way.

Having said this, change is hard for me.  I always welcome new ideas and changes, but even knowing they are coming throws me for a loop.  It breeds a sense of chaos in me like no other.  I sometimes even get depressed about it.  In essence, I believe I go through a grief process when large changes happen.  This turmoil is normally followed by laughing at myself for being unreasonable and pouty before I move forward fully embracing whatever change is on the table.

I was reading from Pema Chodron's "Taking the Leap" today under the section "Rejoicing In Things As They Are" and this seemed right on for the day:



"When we begin to see clearly what we do, how we get hooked and swept away by old habits, our usual tendency is to use that as a reason to get discouraged, a reason to feel really bad about ourselves.  Instead, we could realize how remarkable it is that we actually have the capacity to see ourselves honestly, and that doing this takes courage.  It is moving in the direction of seeing our life as a teacher rather than as a burden.  This involves, fundamentally, learning to stay present, but learning to stay with a sense of humor, learning to stay with loving-kindness toward ourselves and with the outer situation, learning to take joy in the magic ingredient of honest self-reflection."

No comments:

Post a Comment