Saturday, November 1, 2014

Quills and Frills - 11/1/2014 - A poem


Ally says:


Dog Eared

Impatient in both life and death
I dog ear the books.
As a collector of bookmarks
this drives my husband nuts.
The library books are one thing, he says
making allowances
but not ours.
Yet I find I’m always grabbing
the poetry books off the shelf and forgetting
a bookmark and beside
these sleek slender volumes
can barely hold their own words
let alone a whole bookmark.

So I dog ear,
the little bent corners
of the pages.
Sometimes nothing for whole chunks.
Sometimes one every other poem
after a quick read between subway transfers,
the corners flapping
like flags marking depots
across the dry cold waste of undiscovered land.

I wonder if later
when I’m gone
he’ll find these creases
in the books we shared
the corners still creased
rising now
my long distance death defying reminder
like a star winking at him
all the way from the past,
a message over time
a little salute and a hello

from the darkest corner of space.

No comments:

Post a Comment