Thursday, September 11, 2014

Foodies-9/11/2014 Everyday Italian, Giada De Laurentiis

Aleathia says:

Ah yes.  It is foodie time again.  This week instead of going to the library to find a cook book to review I was going to use one of my own at home.  We went to the Salvation Army as it is Family and Friends day (half off clothes) and low and behold I found a cook book.  I watch a fair amount of Food Network and its various shows.  I like most of the chef on there, but I have a general aversion to Giada De Laurentiis.  Every time I see her I think "eat a cheeseburger".  It is sometimes hard for me to want to trust a skinny chef.  Maybe that is socially unacceptable of me, but that is how I roll. She is probably a totally wonderful person.



I picked up the book and started flipping through it.  Everyday Italian is loaded with amazing recipes...sauces, pastas, and classic dishes.  I love Italian food...grew up eating it all the time as my mother's second husband was from an Italian family.  Thanksgiving had turkey and a full spread of lasagna and manicotti!  I was biting the inside of my mouth at my hypocrisy when I bought the book. That is what I get for being a judgmental bitch!



We had the hankering for Pasta Primavera the other day and I could not find a recipe that I was satisfied with.  They were either drowned in a cream sauce or a red sauce.  I never remembered eating pasta primavera this way or making it with a heavy sauce.  Michael states that he remembers eating it with red sauce all the time.  It is supposed to be a spring dish that is light and vibrant.  When I was looking at the book in the store it was the first recipe I checked for and the reason I bought the book. So here we go, Pasta Primavera!

Pasta Primavera

3 carrots, peeled
2 medium or 1 large zucchini
2 yellow summer squash
1 yellow bell pepper
1 red bell pepper
1 onion, thinly sliced
1/4 cp olive oil
1 T dried Italian Herbs
2 tsp salt
2 tsp fresh ground black pepper
1 pound dried farfalle pasta
15 cherry tomatoes, halved
3/4 cp shredded Parmesan cheese

Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.  Cut the carrots, zucchini, squash, and bell peppers into thin 2 inch long strips.  On a large heavy baking sheet, toss the vegetable strips, onion, oil, dried herbs, and 2 tsp each of salt and pepper.

Transfer half of the veg mixture to another large heavy baking sheet and arrange evenly over each pan.  Bake, stirring after the first 10 minutes, until the carrots are tender and the other veggies begin to brown, about 20 minutes.

Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.  Add the farfalle and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender but still firm to the bite, about 8 minutes.  Drain, reserving 1 cup of the cooking liquid.  In a large bowl, toss the pasta with the cooked veggies to combine.  Add the cherry tomatoes and enough of the reserved cooking liquid to moisten.  Season the pasta with more salt and pepper to taste.

Transfer to the bows and sprinkle with fresh Parmesan cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment