Thursday, September 18, 2014

Foodies-9/18/2014 Carmenere

Aleathia says:

I'm a little late today, but exciting things are afoot.  Michael just landed a full time job today with the possibility of moving up to management in the near future.  The last few years have been great spending a lot of time together and solidifying a deep and centered relationship.  We needed the time to know each other, to grow together, and deal with a lot of tragedy in our lives.

Tonight, I bought myself a bottle of wine in celebration of his achievement and to the future of our lives.  Because it was close, I went to the local wine store called Bottles and Corks.  Back in the day it used to be the premier place to buy wine with really knowledgeable staff and an owner who was very prideful in what he could offer the community.  The original owner sold it years ago and retired and those that took over have dwindled the business over the years.  It is my least favorite place to shop for wine anymore.  Their selection is not great.

I went in looking for a decent Malbec. I wandered over to the Chile and Argentina sections to find most of the bins were empty or only had one bottle as a representation.  This says a number of things to me:  either they don't order enough or they don't have the business to keep the stock current.  That is a sad state of affairs because it is my experience that wine drinkers are the type of people that find a type of wine they like and then venture out to try many other makers of that type of wine.  They had three Malbecs in the whole store none of which I was willing to take a chance on.



In the end, I settle for a Carmenere from Chile.  As history has it this grape was originally found in France in the Bordeaux region, but over the last 150 years has not really been present in France.  This grape ended up in Chile and they have preserved its history.  The grape used is similar to those of Merlot and Malbec and is considered one of the original six grapes of Bordeaux.

The Carmenere is deep red in color with aromas of red fruits, berries and spices.  It is gentler and softer in its tannins (which I am mildly reactive to) and the body is lighter than that of a Cabernet Sauvignon.  It is often used in the blending of wines, but some wineries maintain the full grape on its own.  Unlike many wines, this is one that you want to drink young instead of aged.  The nice thing about this is that it can be much more affordable.

I bought this bottle of wine for around $11 and it is delightful.  It isn't as deep as a Merlot or as heavy in the body as a Cabernet.  It isn't as smoky and leathery as a Malbec but a nice wine with hints of all of those things that you love from a red.  You should give it a try.  This is my first time trying this particular one and I'm half way through the bottle.  Yes, I'm feeling fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment