Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Lit Bits-9/24/2014 Lucille Clifton

Aleathia says: 


Lucille Clifton was born in 1936 (we share a birthday of June 27) just outside of Buffalo, NY.  She eventually moved to Maryland where she became the Poet Laureate of Maryland from 1979-1985. She was also nominated for the Pulitzer Prize for Poetry twice.  Her work is widely enjoyed for its easy nature and voice that she gives to African-American women and women in general. In her life she published 13 collections of poetry, wrote 10 children's books, as well as a children's series based on her character Everett Anderson.  She died in 2010.  It was a tragic loss to the poetry community.


I can't exactly remember when I started reading Lucille Clifton or where I got the notion to check her out, but I have always loved her simple, heartfelt language.  Her words feel down home.  They taste like the dreams of common people with uncommon desires.  I have several of her books in my collection.  I was lucky enough to find "The Book of Light" at a local library sale a year or so ago.



the women you are accustomed to

wearing that same black dress,
their lips and asses tight,
their bronzed hair set in perfect place;
these women gathered in my dream
to talk their usual talk,
their conversation spiked with the names
of avenues in France.

and when i asked them what the hell,
they shook their marble heads
and walked erect out of my sleep,
back into a town which knows
all there is to know
about the cold outside, while i relaxed
and thought of you, 
your burning blood, your dancing tongue.

Lucille Clifton



No comments:

Post a Comment