Monday, September 1, 2014

Music Monday-9/1/2014 Gillian Welch

Aleathia says:

I am always behind the 8-ball on music.  I have the artists I like and I pretty much stick to those, but every now and then I wander around the music store and look at names and album covers that sound cool, write down their names, and check them out.  It isn't always a bed of roses for sure, but sometimes I find music that is right up my alley.

I was listening to some songs from today's musician and it was a casual listen for sure.  Michael chided me about my "30 second review", but we are different in that way.  I know what I like when I hear it straight away.  I don't need to sit and dissect every instrument and how lines move and when the guitars come in.  It just sounds good so I listen to it.  I learn a lot from Michael's investigations on music, but to me it has always been about making me feel something.



So having said that I would like you to check out Gillian Welsh's album The Harrow & The Harvest. She has been plopped in the Alt. Country genre of music.  She has that sweet drawl cadence like Lucinda Williams, but with less gravel in the tone.  She plays with David Rawlings and the two of them make nice somber music.  Here are a few of my "30 second reviews" aka check these out:



"Tennessee"




"Dark Turn of Mind"





"The Way It Goes"


No comments:

Post a Comment