Friday, March 13, 2015

3/13/2015 When You Least Expect It

Aleathia says:

I woke up this morning sort of dreading it.  I was up at the crack of dawn for the second day in a row. WTF?  My body hurt like hell with the loss of those few extra hours of sleep, but I rolled out into the 20 degree morning to walk the dog.

The blessings started here.

I watched the most amazing sunrise from my yard.  Watched as it bathed the shimmering snow in orange hues.  The dog stood there with me like he understood what it was all about.  When you stop to watch the sunrise you get the opportunity to swim in the insanity that is the universe.  Oh yeah, that giant ball of fire, we rotate around that.  And though it is millions of miles away we see its like and feel its heat.  Doesn't that blow your mind?

I continued walking the dog and was blessed again by the alley not being an ice skating rink.  My back and poor old Marshall's could not handle another day of trying to look graceful and defying the laws of gravity while on slippery surfaces.  Also he didn't stand and stiff another dogs poop all morning or lick pee off the telephone pole.  This was a win-win walk.  I said my morning prayers while we walked and felt strangely lighter than when I started.

Chloe and I had to drive 40 minutes to get her braces checked.  It is a dreadful long time to have someone stick their fingers in her mouth for 5 minutes and send you on your way.  This time it was great news.  Large rubber bands off for a month and if everything stays where it is, then braces off in May!  And as of this morning, her father had paid her braces payments off in full.  I was pretty surprised actually.

We left there and went to lunch at Cracker Barrel and then off to JoAnn's to pick out her fabric for the apron I am going to make her.  We came home and I walked the dog again.  She played computer and I took a much needed afternoon nap with the sun peaking in the windows while lying on the couch.



The best part of the day was not how well all of these things unfurled but the most wonderful day I had with my 13 year old.  If you are a parent or if you remember being a teenager, then you know this is the time when teenager's stop wanting you in their business.  They don't think you are right about anything and they certainly don't want to be seen with you in public.  Chloe is generally not like this but she has been making moves for more independence and as hard as it is for me to let go, I know it is the best thing to do.

Our ride down to the orthodontist, the ride back, the lunch, the fabric store and the ride home were filled with ACTUAL CONVERSATION.  We talked about the present and about finding out her identity in the world.  We talked about the future.  I wanted to impart upon her how important it really is to find a job in life that makes you happy and that you feel good about doing because you will spend a very large part of your precious time on Earth at that job.  I also talked about college being something she should take advantage of when she knows what she wants to do.  I had many failed attempts and periods of adventure in between before I landed on my career at age 27.  I shared stories about my life that I had not been able to share before this time.  We talked about the real reasons her father and I divorced.  We talked about fashion and music and movies.

She shared her perspective on these things and I have learned in these times it is best to keep my judgments to myself and listen.  I think we don't do that enough for teenagers....really listen and let them know that their opinions and ideas matter and are valid, but that they should also not discredit their parents breadth of knowledge and experience when advice is given.  We talked about the importance of failure and not being perfect.  We all must fall to find out how strong we are.  We have to know what it feels like to pull ourselves up to find out what we are made of.

It has been a pretty awesome day.  F**k you Friday the 13th.  Pfffft.

No comments:

Post a Comment