Monday, March 30, 2015

3/30/2015 What Is Missing in the Workplace Today, Hand + Foot

Aleathia says:

Anyone that knows me knows for sure that Hand + Foot is my favorite place in Corning.  It isn't just because the food is fantastic....and it is.  The chef and his team put out amazing food everyday and it is consistently good which I can't say for a lot of other restaurants in the area.  JP takes special pride in the food he puts out and we always love when he is working in the kitchen.



It isn't just the great beer and booze selection that I love.  It is the knowledge of the bartenders (Charlie, Matthew, Kurtis) and staff (Erin, Laurel, Caleb) who do their best to try everything so they can describe it for you and help you step up your drinking game as well as help you get out of your narrow window of acceptable tastes.  They remember what we order from the times we have come in before and are quick to recommend beers and bourbon they think we will enjoy and they have been spot on every time.

It isn't just the cozy atmosphere that I love.  It is the long communal table of light wood, the exposed brick, the great music, the sound of conversations and laughter that fill the bar.  It is people singing. It is life happening.

This is the first time in my entire life that I look forward to going to a bar.  I have always hated them because they were pretentious or too dark or full of people using the space as a meat market.  This place makes me happy.  I always learn something when I am there.  I always have a good time.  I always leave there wanting to come back.

Last night we had a date night.  The kiddo was at her dad's and we both had off work (finally) so we went for dinner and a drink.  It never ends with one drink, but that is because we love being there.  It is our place.

We sat enjoying the music and the bourbon when I saw something wonderful, something missing from the workplace today.  The owners made a special Sunday dinner for their staff.  Laurie was back there for hours making a beautiful pork roast and vegetables.  The owner!!  These owners work their tails off making Hand + Foot a wonderful place.  They love their staff.  They take care of them and in return they pour their hearts into making this bar a destination.  When tourist seasons starts I can only hope to find a square inch for myself.  It is going to be packed.

I grew up in a restaurant.  I started working at my grandfather's place when I was 12 years old.  I would go there after school on Friday's and peel shrimp, roll napkins, prepare side salads, do dishes and whatever else was needed.  I got paid $5 and given dinner.  It wasn't the money that mattered but the fact that I participated and learned something.  I belonged.  After I left there I worked here in Corning at Boomer's in the kitchen.  I was proud of the food we made there.  It was tough work in a small space, but it was what I loved.  Later in life I worked at a deli in Seattle and then was a baker at The Urban Bakery on the lake as well as another place on Phinney Ridge.  I worked at Starbucks in both Atlanta and Seattle.  I have slung hams at Honey-baked Hams.  I have worked at an Asian-British fusion Tea House.  Most of my life has been spent feeding people.  Now, I save lives, but I often miss the restaurant business.  It is brutal, but slightly more thankful than what I do now.

I commend Dan and Laurie at Hand + Foot for treating their employees like they do.  I never once in my life had an experience like I saw last night.  I almost teared up at the bar, because it gave me faith in small business and in my community.  I need to see those things once in awhile.  We need to see that more often as humans.

Support local businesses whenever you can, wherever you are.  These people need you to keep their businesses alive and to offer their perspective of the world.

1 comment:

  1. This is perfect. I'm so glad to see another avid fan of Hand + Foot - I love it there and it's awesome to know it's not a secret. People of Corning, this article is dead on! I couldn't have said it better, myself.

    ReplyDelete