Sunday, March 15, 2015

3/15/2015 Books on Tape

Aleathia says:

I have never been a fan of books on tape or books in any form other than the traditional sense of a book.  The thought of it felt like cheating.  If you didn't read the book then it didn't count.  If you don't read the words then they mean less.  This sort of thinking comes from being young and possibly snobby.  I will forever be a book in hand kind of girl.  There is no other wonderful feeling (besides love) than how the binding of a book rests in your hands, the sound of pages turning, the smell of ink and paper, and the pleasure of closing the book at the end knowing you completed a journey.  I cannot get behind the Kindle revolution.  I just can't.

Having said that I am reconsidering books on tape.  This week I was walking past the audio book section and I found myself wandering down the aisle.  What could I possibly find down here in this tiny section?  What I did find is a shit ton of Shakespeare.  I have only ever been able to appreciate his work once in high school when the entire class had to have a part in Macbeth and we read it aloud.  When I try to read plays by myself there is a certain kind of chaos and insanity that happens in my brain.  I have to have different voices for each character in order to understand it and frankly I look like a person with split personality disorder trying to read a play.  It makes me frustrated and then I put it down and have that bad yucky Shakespeare taste in my mouth.  Who wants that?



Today, while I was on the floor trying to fix the vacuum, it came to me.  How is an audio book any less than a book?  What if I were blind, would the content of the book mean any less to me if I listen to it or if I read it in braille?  Wouldn't I want to be able to have books read to me when I am old and can't see so good?  Didn't we all love when our parents would read us books when we were children? They were OUR books on tape right there in our beds.

So this week I celebrate growing up and opening my book snob borders to the likes of audio books.  First on my list.....The Merchant of Venice.

No comments:

Post a Comment