Thursday, June 5, 2014

Foodies-6/5/2014

Aleathia says:

It is food time again folks.  On another jaunt to the library I found a great cookbook by J. M. Hirsch called High Flavor, Low Labor.



The idea behind this cookbook is that you don't have to sacrifice great flavors because you don't have enough time.  These meals are easy to prepare, but still pack a punch in the taste department.  Most of the recipes have 10 or fewer ingredients with very simple preparations.  I am going to be sharing a recipe for Lemon Grass and White Bean Chili:



As with any recipe, I make alterations of my own to make it more palatable for my family.  This recipe calls for several things which I am going to swap out.  We can't tolerate jalapenos in this house due to stomach issues so I'm substituting a can of prepared green chilies.  The recipe says to used ground turkey, but remarks that ground chicken or lean ground beef can be used as well.  I'm going with the beef.  It also calls for fresh spinach that gets wilted through the soup but I detest wet spinach so I am going with kale instead.  It holds up better and could be frozen if there are leftovers.

Lemon Grass and White Bean Chili

15 inch stalk lemon grass, cut into 4 segments and gently crushed
2 T olive oil
1 can prepared green chilies (or 1 T diced jarred jalapeno slices)
1 large yellow onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp chili powder
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp smoked paprika
14 oz can of coconut milk
1 cp chicken broth
1 1/4 pounds ground meat
15 oz can cannellini beans, drained
4 cps lightly packed chopped kale (or whole baby spinach)
Salt and pepper to taste

In a large saucepan or medium Dutch oven over medium-high heat, combine the lemon grass, olive oil, chilies, onion, garlic, chili powder, cumin, cinnamon, and paprika.  Saute for 3 minutes.

Add coconut milk, broth, ground meat, and beans (note: I am leery about the safety of this step of adding raw meat to the broth so if you also worry, cook the meat with the onions and spices, then add the liquids). Bring to a simmer, then cover, reduce heat to low and cook for 20 minutes.  Discard the lemon grass.  Add the kale and stir for 1 minute or until it wilts.  Season with salt and pepper.

I plan on trying this recipe next week!  Enjoy.


No comments:

Post a Comment