Monday, June 9, 2014

Music Monday-6/9/2014

Aleathia says:

On a stroll through the local music store I came across the new Beck album called Morning Phase.  I remember when Beck first came out as this quirky emo-ish guy at the height of the explosion of grunge (outside the Pacific Northwest).  I thought it fun music and it fit my personality at the time.  I was 19 and discovering who I was after leaving home and starting college.

I didn't follow his career much.  I would hear songs from time to time on the radio or see a random video, but I was not investigative in his every changing sound.  Truth be told, I snubbed him.  He became somewhat acclaimed and I turned my back on him instead of really digging in and listening.



Last week I jumped on the old Myspace account and dialed in Beck's Morning Phase.  Morning is one of those great words.  It can mean dawn and sounds like grief.  I think that is a great description of the sound on this album.  At first listen I told myself this sounds like a blizzard of My Morning Jacket-Iron & Wine-Bon Iver.  It is ethereal and spacey.  A bit droning in parts.  There are a few great tracks from this album that I would put in rotation.


Blue Moon by Beck



Unforgiven by Beck





Don't Let It Go by Beck



No comments:

Post a Comment