Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Lit Bits-2/25/2015 Sena Jeter Naslund

Aleathia says:

By Job I finished a book today.  It was a long one...almost 500 pages.  This used to not be a huge feat for me, but as I have gotten older my attention span is waning.  It seems harder to sit still long enough to read.  Maybe this is ADD or maybe it is just the culture of instantaneous gratification that has taken over my life.  I hate to think it is the latter, but it is most likely the reason.

I forced myself to sit down and read for almost 2 hours to finish out "All The King's Men".  It was a fantastic book.  I didn't expect to like it so much as it started out based in politics and ended up a book on personal discovery and truth through hard life.  I feel great to have finished it.  With that one done I have now read 29 of the 86 Pulitzer Prize winning novels for fiction.  I will get there some day.

Today I was looking through the stack of books that I had started over the last 2 years but not finished.  I feel bad for these books because they weren't boring by any means.  I was a bad reader and couldn't keep task.  So the next few books will be finishing what I've started.



"Abundance: A Novel of Marie Antoinette" by Sena Jeter Naslund is next on the hit list.  I have always been very interested in the life of Marie Antoinette but was never a good reader of non-fiction.  This is not a biography, but it reads like one with a bit of creative licence.  There has to be some historical significance to it at least culturally.  There would have been much research into the time in which she lived, the customs, the dress, the mannerisms.  Who knows, this might spark me to read a biography of her in the future.  It feels great to be reading again.

No comments:

Post a Comment