Monday, February 9, 2015

Music Monday-2/9/2015 Jack White/Run the Jewels, Aimee Mann

Chloe says:



I went to a Jack White concert a few weekends ago in New York City at the Madison Square Garden. It wasn't as crowded as I thought that it would be, but there were a fair amount of people.



Run The Jewels was the opening band and they were okay, but I don't think that I would listen to them on my own time...... Every time they would start a new song they would jump around and say "HEY HEY HEY" like 20 times before starting the actual song. After Run The Jewels was the amazing Jack White (<3)!



He played a few songs that I knew from The White Stripes like "Hotel Yorba","Cannon", "Seven Nation Army" ,and "Black Bat Licorice" (even though that isn't a White Stripes song). Q-Tip came out for one of the songs which I didn't know the name of and rapped along to one of the songs (maybe Black Bat Licorice but I'm not sure...). Madison Square Garden was fantastically huge...

After the concert we had to walk down like 20 flights of stairs to get to ground level lol, and water there was $5... No joke! But other than the costly water it was a fun time at the concert. This was my second time being in NYC and it was so much fun even though we only had a little bit of time to do a lot of stuff.



We went to the humongous Toys R Us, Pret A Manger (best mocha ever!), Krispy Kreme Donuts (which was the bomb), Penn Station, the Nintendo Store, the Lego store, Rockefeller Center (didn't want to skate there for $50 so I just took like 10 pictures.... at least), This weird place that I forget the name of but it was amazing, and that was it, so I'll just hit the Apple Store another time! Our hotel was a Marriott hotel (I think that that was the name) and it was amazing with plush beds and everything of that sort. And that was what I call an amazing trip to New York City >.<.


Aleathia says:

Everyone remembers Til Tuesday's hit "Voices Carry" from the early 80's.  Aimee Mann's strange, haunting voice seemed like it would be hard to forget, but in all honesty after that song faded out I never listened to Til Tuesday again.  Hell, I didn't even buy the cassette.  It was the beginning of the age of MTV so it was easier to catch it on TV than to spend the money to hear the one song you like.

A month or so ago in the bargain bin at the music store I found a copy of Aimee Mann's debut solo album called Whatever.  I gave it a chance only because I loved her soundtrack to the movie Magnolia in 1999.  I have spun that soundtrack over and over so many times and it was truly the only reason I could stand to watch a movie with Tom Cruise in it.  The music elevated that movie so much.

Songs like Deathly:




or Driving Sideways:


                                     


You really could listen to the album from start to finish and not find a shitty song.  I think her talents have publicly gone unnoticed for a long time.  She has performed with Rush, Matthew Sweet, Cyndi Lauper, and performed on many television shows as a musician and as an actress.  She is active in the music community concerning piracy.

The great thing for me recently was going back to this first solo album in 1993 which seemed to have some buzz around it but never really sold very well and she wasn't particularly noticed until the Magnolia Soundtrack in 1999.  She has made 8 records in her career so far.  I plan on finding them all in the future to see what I have been missing out on.

From her Whatever album, you should check out Fifty Years After the Fair:






and 4th of July (an Elvis Costello favorite):





and Say Anything:





No comments:

Post a Comment