Friday, February 27, 2015

Art Bomb-2/27/2015 Leonard Nimoy Tribute

Aleathia says:

This afternoon I heard Michael say, "This was a day all Trekkies knew would come, eventually." Since I have known Michael he has been heavily into Star Trek.  He can watch it for days without end, owns memorabilia, books, films etc.  He has never called himself a Trekkie despite knowing it was true.  Today, on the death of Leonard Nimoy, he admits this.

Yes, we have lost Spock.  He was a sci-fi hero, a singer, a photographer, a director, actor, and family man.  I remember watching him as a child with my grandmother.  She was the only one in the house that liked sci-fi.  I remember loving his character's very calculated way of speaking.  I remember spending many hours training my fingers to split in just the right way so I too could "Live Long and Prosper".  I later used these talents to also be able to Na-noo, Na-noo.  But that, my friends, is a horse of a different color.



Today at The Forked Road we shall remember Leonard Nimoy, but not for his adventures in space, but for his work as a photographer.



He shockingly did a series on large bodied women called The Full Body Project that was at the same time tasteful and inspiring.  It allows that just because someone is overweight does not mean they are not intelligent and beautiful and useful to society.  It gives these women a moment to shine and stand proud.




Nimoy also did another photography series called Secret Selves which looks at the lost or hidden self. The idea was that people would share who or what they always wanted to be by way of photograph.  I love this idea of being able to set a secret free.









It is a solemn day in our house.  My best friend has lost a friend, not just a character.  Thank you Leonard Nimoy for all that you have done for so many generations.  Thank you for letting children and adults open their minds and believe that we can achieve great connection with a little effort.  We shall see you in the afterlife my friend.  Live Long and Prosper.


No comments:

Post a Comment