Saturday, February 21, 2015

Quills and Frills-2/21/2015 The Boy Who Wasn't Funny, Aleathia and Chloe Drehmer

Aleathia says:




You Can’t Win Them All

The room was full of awkward silence.

Doug waited patiently for a hint of laughter, a cracked smile, or even a nod of a head to show that what had just come out of his mouth was not just funny to him.  He practiced this joke over and over again in his room, pacing the floor, and attempting to get the timing just right.  His dog Bones watched him intently, his small white head moving from side to side as if he were watching a tennis match.

Sometimes Doug could not contain himself and bust out at the end of the joke.  It was just too funny. But now he was standing in front of his friends nervously waiting.  His palms were slick with sweat, his heart racing, and his mouth dry as the Arizona desert in summer.

Come on, come on….somebody laugh for Christ’s sake, he thought.

The girls looked down at their desks embarrassed for Doug.  The guys had that look in their eye, that look of having something evil to lord over a person at a future date.  It took everything Doug had to not run from the class crying.

“Well, you can’t win ‘em all,” he said as he slunk back to his chair.

Silence ensued.  It was the funeral of Doug’s social life.  It was all downhill from there.

Aleathia Drehmer 2015



Chloe says:


Asfora’s Advanced Sorcerer’s Academy

It was another boring day at Asfora’s Advanced Sorcerer’s Academy (AASA) in the year 2023 where I was currently living in a dorm with my best friend Jamehkey, who is a 13 and a half year old boy, and my younger brother Tiflefer Kuok Jinx III who is 11. My name is Efira Monlehey Jinx, I am 13 years old. I am half-fox, half-human and I am Polish. My brother is crazy and I’m sane. Asfora is a weird place filled with indescribable things. The grass can talk, trees can walk, and cats can play banjoes… (I told you it was weird)… back to the story of yet another unique day at AASA.

                “Hmmmergarbergaberghebabababababa…” That was Jamehkey (Jamey) snoring before my brother jumped on him. Tiflefer (TJ) ran from my bed on one side of the room to Jamey’s bed which was on the other side. “ROOO-UMMPH” yelled my brother as he landed on Jamey who was cringing from the impact and was now on the floor. “Great accomplishment TJ,” I said as I grabbed my black cloak from my tiny closet, “you probably made his kidney explode!” As I was walking toward our bathroom, I heard Jamey moan as he tried to get up off of the floor. I sighed and carried on with my day.
I was the only girl in this entire academy of downright douchebags and just plain dumb people. This was also the reason why I wore a black cloak, black under-garments and everything in between so  I could be singled out. It was now 9:31 am and I was late for biology since I had to help Jamey down to the Witch’s Cauldron, or as other people would call it, the Nurse’s Office. Mr. Drobj was kind enough to excuse me for my “heroic deeds” and before I knew it, I finished his class and went to Math, Scottish Speaking Class, Herb Class, Cooking Class, Dorm Management, and finally Lunch!!!
                As usual, I sat at lunch with Jamey, my brother, Jeskoiay, Afloveter, Samik, Hensao, and 5 other guys. There was one guy who was very quiet who slipped away during the middle of lunch to go to the Library (I didn’t know this at first but I decided to follow him). I also got up unnoticed and proceeded to stalk the new guy who I knew nothing about except that his name was Clark. I waited for him to enter the library first before I entered the separate building myself. I poked him on the shoulder, ever so lightly, then all of the sudden he swirled around and grabbed my throat. Once he saw my black chaciluo (cloak in Pedorfe which is the common language for the people in the west. The main language in the northern area was English, but now it was slowly turning into a mainly Scottish speaking area).

“Oh….. Oh my god… I-I-I’m sooo sorry….. I tho-” Clark released me quickly and his voice was full of embarrassment and a bunch of other things “I thought that you were Jamey or your brother or one of those other bullies.” I looked at him quizzingly and wondered why he was stammering so much… Tons of people in this school have already tried to kill me so… Yeah. As I was looking at him I could tell that he was one of those private/loner/high-tempered/quick to react people (I wasn’t judging him since I was almost all off the things he was except for being private).

“It’s okay dude… no worries,” I said since it was now really awkwardly quit and I had nothing else to say. “You’re like a mermaid with a ton of different seashells, but they aren’t encrusted with dirt or sand, or broken, they are just perfect, little seashells….. Just so you know…” Than he just picked up his book and walked away. I had absolutely no idea what he had met. I was thinking about it all day long, but before I went to bed at 10:35 pm, I knew what he had meant.

You are someone beautiful who has different perspective on things, but they’re the good ones.


Chloe Drehmer 2015


No comments:

Post a Comment