Thursday, October 9, 2014

Foodies-10/9/2014 Egg In A Hole

Aleathia says:

It seems to be this time of year that gets me a bit on the melancholy side.  Maybe it is the waning of light or the sense that everything is settling down to sleep that gets me going just a bit dark.  This is the time of year when holiday foods start getting made, when we break out the crockpot, when we make soups and stews and roasts.  I LOVE this time of year.

Despite my love for these things it weighs heavy on my heart that my mother is gone.   She was the one who taught me how to cook.  She gave me a love for being in the kitchen.  I often cook with her in mind.  I did even when she was still alive because through all of our tumultuous relationship food was the one thing we saw eye to eye on.  We loved to cook and loved a good, strong cup of coffee.

This morning I awoke to temperatures in the 30's.  My kid already off to school, the dog nestled in his chair, and Michael walking out the door for work.  I felt particularly alone.  So I decided to make Egg in a Hole.  I believe it is a British sort of dish.  I think they have something similar but maybe call it by a different name.  My mother used to make these for us in the mornings when it was just me and her. She was most often hung over, but I loved those mornings when I had her all to myself; when we would talk over coffee and I could see glimpses of the person she really was inside.

I made myself some Egg in a Hole to push away the dark.




Two pieces of large sliced bread
Butter
2 eggs
Salt and Pepper

Make a hole in the center of each piece of bread.  A shot glass works perfect for this, but if you don't have on take a tablespoon (one for measuring) and make a half moon indentation, turn the bread and do it on the other side.  Push the bread circle out.  Repeat for the second slice.

Place a good slab of butter in a frying pan and melt it.  Place the bread in the butter for thirty seconds and then turn it over.  Crack an egg each in the center of the holes.  Do this gently so the whites stay mostly in the hole.  Dash with salt and pepper.

You will need to wait a good bit for the egg to set up before you flip it.  The whites should start to congeal on the non-cooked side before flipping or the egg will fall out.  Gently turn and then cook to the desired yolk.  I like my eggs over medium.  The fun is in cutting off pieces of the bread on the outside and dipping it in the yolk....but you eat it how you like it.

Here's to you mom.  Thanks for all the great mornings.

No comments:

Post a Comment