Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Lit Bits-10/15/2014 Alice Walker

Aleathia says:

When I was younger, in my 20's, it was very exciting to embark on a world of literature that was not chosen for me.  I could read anything I wanted in my spare time that I could not when I was a full time student and working.

I set out to read names that I had heard of, names new to me....one year I even read book solely based on their covers to try to find new writers out of my comfort zone.  At one point I decided that I was going to read every book on the Pulitzer Prize for Fiction list.  I own almost all of these books and have read about 1/3 of them.



One of those books was "The Color Purple" by Alice Walker.  Yes, I know, the Oprah movie.  The book is so much more than that (you might always hear me say this). Alice Walker is a stunning writer with a lot of soul, but I'm not here to praise that novel.  Many before me have done this.

At the library book sale I was fortunate enough to come across a collection of Alice Walker's poetry from 2003 called "Absolute Trust in the Goodness of the Earth".  These poems were written at a time when she was staying in Mexico.  The world was in upheaval then after 9/11 and Walker claims a deep sadness about the state of our country and the planet as we all did.


Until I Was Nearly Fifty

Until I was
Nearly fifty
I barely though

Of age.

But now
As I approach
Becoming
An elder
I find I want
To give all
That I know
To youth.

Those who sit
Skeptical
With hooded
Eyes
Wondering
If there really
Is
A path ahead
& whether
There really
Are 
Elders
Upon it.

Yes.  We are there
Just ahead
Of you.

The path you are on
Is full of bends
Of crooks
Potholes
Distracting noises
& insults
Of all kinds.
The path one is on
Always is.

But there we are
Just out of view
Looking back
Concerned 
For you.

I see my dearest
Friend
At fifty-one
Her hair
Now 
An even
Steel.
She blushes much
& talks
Of passion.
It cannot be
For the bourgeois
Husband
I never 
Liked.

I thought life
With him
Had killed
The wild-haired girl
I knew.

But no.
There she is.
There she goes.
Blushing.
Eldering.

I too talk
Stunned
Of love
Passion
Grace of mating
At last
With 
My soul's
Valiant twin.

Oh youth!

I find
I do not
Have it in
My heart
To let
You stumble
On this curve
With fear.

Know this:

Surprise alone
Defines
This time
Of more than growth:
Of distillation
Ripeness
Enjoyment 
Of being
On the vine.

No comments:

Post a Comment