Monday, October 20, 2014

Music Monday-10/20/2014 The Monkees

John Says:

I rarely watch television.  In the last month I’ve had the television on for maybe two minutes, and that was to get the weather and ogling the mini-skirted anchors on the Weather Channel. If I weren’t so lazy I wouldn’t canceled the cable by now, and saved the wife and I $90 a month.  But last week I was home from work.  I had lunch going and boredom overtook me.  The wife and I put on the TV to find something to watch while we ate.  MTV had a Fresh Prince of Bel-Air marathon going.  I laughed at the program despite myself.  But then it hit me….MTV was now doing marathons of programs that were on when I was young.  Good old Fresh Prince had joined the ranks of golden oldie marathons along with I Love Lucy, the Honeymooners, and Happy Days.  It was time to check my Geritol and Ensure stock.


When I was a kid MTV aired a marathon of a television show that rocked my world.  On February 23, 1986, MTV aired a marathon of The Monkees television show.  I had never seen The Monkees before.  I’d only heard of them via the oldies station that my old man forced down my throat in the car in lieu of me and my brother getting to listen to anything contemporary.  I only knew of Davy Jones from his episode of The Brady Bunch.  To say that I was transfixed was an understatement.  Before me were four cool guys, who drove a cool car, lived in a cool pad, had zany adventures, and sang cool songs that sounded an awful lot like my beloved Beatles.  In next to no time Micky, Davy, Peter and Mike would become synonymous for me along with John, Paul, George and Ringo.

That marathon started a resurgence for The Monkees.  Soon the Monkees were being broadcast in syndication nationwide.  The group reformed (sans Michael Nesmith) and toured to sold-out shows across America.  My twelve year old self woke up by nine or ten every day that summer to watch The Monkees and sit there with my boom box ready to record, from the TV, whatever song played during the show’s ubiquitous montage.  By summer’s end I had a tape full of Monkees songs along with snippets of the show that I would listen to over and over again until RCA wised up and began re-releasing their albums on record and tape.

One of the things The Monkees get slagged off for is that they were a manufactured band created for a television show.  And while that may be true it discounts the contribution that the band made to their recordings in the studio.  From the first album there were songs written by members of the band, and members of the Monkees, primarily Michael Nesmith and Peter Tork, contributed to the music on the albums.  Most specifically The Monkees were at their most band-like on their hard-fought-for third album, Headquarters.

Headquarters was released in 1967 and was the first Monkees album to feature significant songwriting and instrumental performances by the group.  The Monkees sang AND played on the album.  Michael Nesmith and Peter Tork handled the guitar work, and Tork handled the keyboards and pianos.  Micky Dolenz took his place behind the drums, and Davy Jones handled all other percussion.  Bass was provided by Chip Douglas, a former member of The Turtles, who was asked by Nesmith to produce the album.  Seven songs on the fourteen-song album are either written or co-written by one of The Monkees, and one song, No Time, was written by all-four Monkees but credited to their sound engineer Hank Cicalo.



Sadly the experiment in turning Pinocchio into a real boy didn’t work.  By The Monkees fourth album, Pieces, Aquarius, Capricorn and Jones, the collective group was heading back toward entering the studio as individuals to dub their voices over pre-recorded tracks, or to simply add their own instrumental part to a song selected and/or written by one of The Monkees.


No comments:

Post a Comment