Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Let's Go Somewhere - 10/7/2014 - Cross Country USA





Ally says:

So now that I’m finally free of the shackles of novel revision I can get back to talking about stuff I love here at the Forked Road.

Mainly, travel.

Traveling was something that I always wanted to do. My parents had a subscription to national geographic (didn’t everyone’s?) and as a kid I used to sit down in the playroom and flip through, amazed at pictures of the African deserts, the wildlife in Alaska, the teeming streets of Bejing.

The very first trip I took anywhere as a semi-grownup was to Chicago. I was in college and my then-boyfriend (now husband) and I decided that we would drive from Pittsburgh to Chicago for the weekend. It was huge. We were going on a journey. I sold off my music collection to be able to go. That’s how serious I was about it.

But that was just a weekend. We went to Boston and NYC a few times after that. But the first real trip was after graduate school in 2007. Armed with our higher learning degrees and staring down the double stock barrel of a life of public service work and loan repayments until the age of 64, we did the only thing we could: 

Grabbed whatever leftover student loan money we had and headed west.


Thanks Horace.

We left from Monroe, NY on a cool crisp morning, a cooler full of food and beer in the backseat, a supped up and meticulously checked transmission thanks to my dad, Big Ron, and a map. No GPS. First off this was pre-GPS in every car and secondly, GPS takes all the fun out of traveling. You never get lost you never discover something new. We kept a register in the front seat to manage our finances. Upon leaving we booked half the trip. From NYC to Texas. Everything after that was up to us.

So we climbed aboard our trusty steed, Rocinante, named after Steinbeck's camper from Travels with Charley, which is named after Don Quixote's horse and did as Horace commanded.

Here she is parked at the Steinbeck museum in California

From Baltimore/DC




To Nashville and Memphis




through Louisiana 



To the crossroads where they say Robert Johnson sold his soul to the devil to learn how to play guitar





To New Orleans



To Texas

Cadillac Ranch

New Mexico



Arizona

Grand Canyon. I was too scared to go near the edge

through the desert 



finally arriving on the other coast in California

San Francisco

and then all the way back

through Salt Lake
Salt Lake Basin

and Denver

Rockies

St. Louis & Kansas City




Chicago


and finally back home.



Recently, I was called anti-American because of some of the poems I was writing for my How To Be An American series. That is a misunderstanding made towards people who just want this country to be better – for everyone here. Because she’s beautiful. And she’s ours. And she deserves a people who deserve her.


And that was where it started. A lifelong love of traveling. It’s a big world and we’ve only got so much time, friends. Pack only what you can carry. Let's go. 

No comments:

Post a Comment