Thursday, July 31, 2014

Foodies-7/31/2014 The Herbal Kitchen

Aleathia says:

My garden should be in full swing at this time but what I have is 4 cherry tomatoes, a fading cucumber plant, a cross-my-fingers-please-grow-goddamit zucchini plant and more herbs than I can shake a stick at.  Basil, Oregano, Thyme and Coriander are bountiful.  I can grow herbs like a mofo.  Veggies...not so much.  So in light of that ideal this weeks cookbook is about using herbs!


the Herbal Kitchen by Jerry Traunfeld is a delightful book filled with herb infused recipes.  The herbs get the spotlight here and that is something I can live with.  Traunfeld gives a bit of tutorial in the beginning of the book on growing herbs, cutting them, and storing them.  These are helpful tips if you are just starting out like I am.  This is the first year I have grown herbs in earnest besides the year I had 8 billion basil plants and not enough pesto loving friends to give it away to.  So I really need help this year to get the most out of my garden.

The rest of the book is divided up into types of dishes rather than types of herbs.  The food is all paired with herbs that will make the other ingredients sing and dance...I'm talking a whole lot of poppin' and lockin' here! I have been looking for a recipe to use up the remainder of my basil before it all flowers out and decided to try this one this week:

Green Bean, Basil, and Radish Salad

6 Servings

1/4 cp finely chopped shallots
2 T sherry vinegar
1 pound fresh fillet green beans
1 bunch of radishes, cut into wedges
1/2 cp coarsely chopped basil
2 T extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp kosher salt
fresh ground black pepper
1/2 cup thin shaved parmigiano-reggiano cheese

Stir the shallots and vinegar together in a large mixing bowl and let them sit to mellow the raw bite.

Boil the beans in a large pot of heavily salted water until just tender but still have some crunch.  Drain the beans and then plunge them into a large bowl of ice water.  Drain again and dry on paper towels.

Add the beans to the bowl with the shallots.  Toss in the radishes, basil, olive oil, salt and black pepper. Turn out onto a serving platter and top with shaved cheese.

Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment