Friday, July 11, 2014

Art Bomb-7/11/2014 MoMA, Arthur Tress

Ally says:


One of the best things about living in a city like New York is access to the museums. A few years ago, as a Christmas gift to ourselves, my husband and I got a membership to the Museum of Modern Art. This 6 story building on 53rd street has become like a second home. For a girl who works weekends I manage to clock a lot of hours in there.

And why not?

Look at this collection:
Reclining Nude - Modigliani



Les Demoiselles D'Avignon - Pablo Picasso




Masks Confronting Death - James Ensor



Monument to Balzac - Rodin

Dance 1 - Matisse

Salvador Dalí. The Persistence of Memory. 1931
Persistence of Memory - Dali


Frida Kahlo. Self-Portrait with Cropped Hair. 1940
Self Portrait with Cropped Hair - Frida Kahlo

And that's just like less than 1 percent. Each time I go to the MoMA it's packed. I get it. If I were visiting NYC, I would make sure I went there too. I mean, my goodness, they have Starry Night!

Vincent van Gogh. The Starry Night. Saint Rémy, June 1889


It's as beautiful in real life as you think it will be. And yet.....and yet....every single time I go to the museum I watch people walk up to the art, take a picture with their cell phone and then look at it on their phone and I just want to scream - "It's right there! In real life! That isn't a print! Why do you want to look at a digital version??"

Except what would be the point, right? I understand that the museum allow pictures (though I kind of wish they didn't) and that people want memories (Pictures or it didn't happen) but I swear 9 times out of 10 they don't even look at the real live painting before them. They just look at their picture.

Anyway, end rant. If you're in NYC, please try and make it to the MoMA. I know that with all the museums in town your time is limited but I promise you, the MoMA is worth it. And it's free on Fridays from 4-8!

If you come by, chances are good you'll find me standing here, in front of the most beautiful piece of art in that building. Van Gogh's Olive Trees. In my head, I'm sitting on that low branch right in the middle, feet swinging, watching the breeze race through the grass, happy as can be in Saint-Remy, France.

Vincent van Gogh. The Olive Trees. Saint Rémy, June-July 1889



Aleathia says:

Hey Brooklyn....here's looking at you.





This is Arthur Tress.  He was born in Brooklyn, NY in the 1940's.  He started taking photographs when he was 12 years old and never turned back.  He is known for amazing work in staged surrealism and expositions of the human body.  His work is stunning in black and white and it really speaks to the young high school student in me who spent all her extra hours in the dark room trying to get just the right exposure; to the girl who nearly got kicked out of school for producing images contradictory to her teacher's views.

I recently saw an article stream through my Facebook feed about Arthur Tress and a collection of his photography called The Dream Collector.  He started this series in the late 1960's and in the 70's compiled the works into a book.  The main theme of the book are images based on childhood dreams which we all know lend themselves to the surreal very easily.


"Flood Dream" by Arthur Tress



"Singing Chair" by Arthur Tress



"Boy in TV Set" by Arthur Tress


This one is probably my favorite of the grouping that I have seen and I can't quite seem to find the name of the photograph:




Arthur Tress has many different themes he works with...some were a bit more risque than I felt like posting this morning.  I'm not sure folks wanted the Full Monty for breakfast.  But he does have a collection called Shadows which is very near and dear to my heart as I am presently working on two series of works, one called Reflections and the other Divisions.  I think looking at the negative space of things takes a keen eye.  I can only hope to be as talented as him someday.







If I read his bio correctly, he should have some of his work up at the MoMA in New York so when you are check out Ally's suggestions you should seek out Arthur Tress for the full effect.




















1 comment:

  1. Whoa, I love Tress' work. I'm definitely going to look for his stuff at the MoMA.

    ReplyDelete