Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Lit Bits-7/2/2014 Saga, graphic novel

Aleathia says:

We go to the library at least once a week and often times I have to go over to the Young Adult section to find my kid when it is time to go.  They have a decent array of manga there and a handful of graphic novels. The cover of one of them has caught my eye over the last year, but I never checked it out.  Maybe because it was in the YA section or because I would then have to admit I loved a graphic novel or two in my day. I thought the art was pretty stunning on this one.



This graphic novel is called Saga and is created by Brian K. Vaughan with Fiona Staples providing the art.  It has some fantasy components and these characters look pretty tough and interesting.  Since the rest of the family was checking out manga I decided to go for it.




The story is self described as Star Wars meets Game of Thrones meets Romeo & Juliet.  I am not very familiar with Game of Thrones, but I can see the space influence and before reading about this graphic novel I definitely pegged the Romeo and Juliet.  I told Michael that it was funny that even in the comics all roads lead back to Shakespeare.

What I didn't expect from this award winning GN was the content.  This is by no means a comic that belongs in the young adult section.  It opens with a graphic birth and then to illicit sexual content.  It uses some pretty heavy language and later in the book there is even prostitution and hits of child sex trade.  It doesn't show anything, but you know exactly what they are referring to.

I was pretty shocked through the entire book and a bit disgusted that the library filed this in a kid's section. I'm definitely going to show them the sections that have graphic sex and child sex slaves.  They might have to refile it in an adult section.

Having said all of that....I really want to read the next one.  Once over the shock I do enjoy the social commentary on mixed race relationships, the love story, and the struggle to survive in a world ravaged by war.  It is a love against all odds sort of story.  I would say take the chance and read it....just don't let the under 16 set read it.

No comments:

Post a Comment