Monday, July 21, 2014

Music Monday-7/21/2014 Broken Bells

Aleathia says:


I first heard Broken Bells several years ago when their self-titled debut album came out.  I was hooked as I tend to like that vacuous version of white noise and haunting vocals.  The band is made up of James Mercer from The Shins and Danger Mouse, both of whom I enjoy.  So when I heard that they had a new album coming out I was pretty excited.  

Music is definitely hit or miss these days so I try to listen to albums rented from the library or on MySpace before purchasing to be sure I get my moneys worth.  I'm pretty glad I sampled the new Broken Bells album After the Disco before buying.  I pretty much can't stand most of it.  

I am a Cancer so though I enjoy new things I don't always do well with change.  I gave this album a second listen to be sure I wasn't just being judgmental.  I wasn't.  I am going to post a few videos of the songs that I liked pretty solidly.  Their opening song Perfect World had a Death Cab For Cutie vibe and another song called The Angel and the Fool has shades of Portishead, but most of the songs left me wanting more....or maybe less.  The beats were a bit to flashy towards disco and the vocals a bit to like The Shins for my liking. I love The Shins, but if I wanted that I would just listen to them.  Anyway....here are the few songs that did tickle my fancy.




Holding on For Life by Broken Bells





Leave it Alone by Broken Bells





The Changing Lights by Broken Bells

No comments:

Post a Comment