Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Lit Bits-7/16/2014 Mark Lewisohn

Ally says:


It all boils down to this. They were four war babies from Liverpool who really did change the world, and whose music and impact still lives on in so many ways, after all these years. I say, let’s scrub what we know, or think we know, and start over: Who really were these people, and how did it all happen?


I read multiple books at a time - been doing it for a couple years and I feel like it works because it satisfies my "gimme gimme" grabby hands when a shiny new book crosses my path. But lately I've been reading some big ones. And by big I include this 900 page mama.


Do you see what it says under The Beatles: All These Years?

It says Volume 1.

Volume 1 of 3 in fact and I bought the "abridged version" at 900 pages. I know what you're thinking. It was the same thing I was thinking when I bought this as a Christmas gift for my husband. There is now way, with all the books written on The Beatles that we need, what will probably be, 2,700 pages on The Beatles. I mean, honestly, this is nonsense.

Except you would be wrong. Because this book, while heavy enough to do some damage should I nod off while reading it one night, is amazing. Funny, insightful, full of documentation - everything you could want in a biography. It IS The Beatles.

And there is little to no speculation. If Lewisohn doesn't know for sure what happened exactly when, and he's quoted The Beatles and their fuzzy memories, he'll tell you point blank that no one knows exactly what happened. But those occasions are so few. You know it's well researched when the author has a call in the back to the reader, asking if you have ever had any personal encounter with the Beatles whatsoever to please contact him.

Tune In covers the years 1958-1962, (with a bit of family history) from the creation of The Beatles to the release of their first single. If you think that doesn't deserve 900 pages (much like I did originally) I humbly disagree.

Here's a little snippet of Mark Lewisohn talking about the first book. You know he's an authority when his name gets dropped on the Mendips tour in Liverpool.





The second book is due out in 2020.
The third book is due out in 2028.

Lewisohn will be 70 by then. Buckle in kids, it's gonna be a hell of a ride. Got your ticket?

See what I did there? Ticket to.....oh forget it.

And just for a laugh:

No comments:

Post a Comment