Monday, May 12, 2014

Music Monday-5/12/2014 Jason Molina

Aleathia says:

Years ago my friend Ed Churchouse introduced me to the wonders of Jason Molina.  Over the years Jason was Songs: Ohia, Magnolia Electric Co, and in Amalgamated Sons of Rest with Bonnie Prince Billy and Alasdair Roberts.  This music changed me in such a deep and profound way that I wasn't initially conscious of.

I played Jason Molina's music when I was feeling small, when I was angry with the world, with myself.  I played it when I wanted to be reminded that I was allowed to feel and allowed to cry.

Last year he died of alcohol related organ failure at the age of 39.  We lost a special person at a young age. I remember seeing the news article posted on social media.  I remember telling Ed....being the first one to give him this news.  Then, I cried.  I wept because Jason's music touched the very vulnerability in my own heart that I try so hard to keep protected.

I have lost so much to alcoholism in my life...my family ravaged by it.  This was just another brick in that wall built up around me to crumble.



I will let his voice say it all.  Simple, pure, dark vulnerability.

No comments:

Post a Comment