Monday, May 26, 2014

Music Monday - 5/26/2014 Jason Derulo, Elvis Costello

Joe says:

Today we're getting silly, I guess.




Silly, right? I don't really think so. It was funny the first few times I heard it, but the more I watch this video (and damn do I keep watching it), the more I'm drawn into it for its own merits. This gentleman, clearly very talented, has taken a cheap* pop tune and transformed it. It's not so much a dissection, which implies it'd be broken down to smaller pieces; it's more of a constantly shifting set of filters applied to the song, an artist viewed (heard?) as a means through other artists.

It transcends itself, really. I won't throw more jargon around like I actually know what I'm talking about, but the result is an interesting aspect of the conversation that is art: what is it? How does one define it? Is it good? How does one define good?

The original song by Katy Perry can be argued as being good. Does it become less good when heard in the style of Slipknot? Or The Doors? The answers become less concrete when spun a bit differently: is there anything inherently wrong with a classical piece performed in a non-traditional way?




Genre naysayers will naysay as they please, but this writer loves the evolution of music and the myriad forms audio art can take. So dubstep classical might not be everyone's forte, but the fact it exists is beautiful to me. And that Ten Second Songs guy up top? His exploration of musical twists and turns should be just as commended.

Oh, and he also did Jason Derulo:




Okay, that one is pretty silly.

*in this humble writer's opinion.


Aleathia says:

It was damn busy in the ER last night.  I'm tired.  Double shot of Elvis Costello, bitches.


"Let Him Dangle"



"Deep Dark Truthful Mirror"

No comments:

Post a Comment