Saturday, May 3, 2014

Quills and Frills-5/3/2014 Writing Prompt

Aleathia says:

The beauty of being human is that we get to express ourselves in any way we want to whether that be through word, voice, dance, art etc.  Here at The Forked Road we are going to have prompts each week for writing either poetry or fiction.  There are no rules really.  Just have fun.  The idea was to see how Michelle and I view the same prompt from our very different life styles and experiences in the world.

Here is my go at the prompt:  You are an astronaut, describe your perfect day.



It Was All A Dream

Space was always an extravagance in the mind.  Growing up with television shows that depicted the universe as another place where wars were fought—won and lost, and civilizations much like my own were demolished based on culture and creed.  As a child, it was both frightful and wondrous to think of space, to think of escaping into the unknown.  I wanted to find uncharted territories and leave this heartache behind me.

Nothing could truly prepare me for this moment.

In space, life is weightless in so many ways; reality anchored in hibernation trapped inside this capsule.  My sense of time distorted and elongated as I peer out the window into the deep dark stretches of universe.  I am amongst the stars which are soon to be suns in their own rite; centers of new solar systems eternally creating themselves.  I have yet to see an alien from my youth or a swash buckling space pirate or feel the sense of danger around every corner like in the movies, but it is enough.

I float to the other side of the capsule and there is home, Earth, so spectacular from this distance, so peaceful and organic in its innocence.  It is my only thread to the life that I once had.  When I leave this place I will be someone new, someone no one will ever really know again.  My head will forever be fogged with stars and drifting back to the sky.

Aleathia Drehmer 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment